Homemade Naan Bread has become an absolute favorite of mine these days only because I’ve been craving Indian recipes and let me tell you, they are so easy to make and can be stored to be enjoyed in the future for sandwiches, soups or to make a naan pizza.
The Homemade Naan bread is known for it flavors achieved from yeast. You will be needing a few ingredients to make this recipe;
- Bread Flour
- All-Purpose Flour
- Warm Water
- Plain Yogurt
Traditionally naan breads are baked inside a very hot clay tandoor oven, with charcoal or wood fire. However, all you need to make this recipe is a skillet (but an iron cast skillet seems to work better).
The tandoor oven retains very high heat, up to 900°F and hence fills the inside of the flat bread with air pockets and bakes them to perfection. To achieve similar results, these naan bread recipe was fried over high heat on the stove top.
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Warm Water
- 1/2 cup Yogurt, Plain
- Add warm water, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl to let the yeast activate for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together both flours and salt till well-combined for a few seconds.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour.
- Attach dough hook, set your mixer to low and start mixing.
- Slowly increase the speed of your mixer as the dough comes together.
- Add butter and yogurt, mix dough on medium setting for 8 minutes.
- Let the dough sit in a covered bowl to proof for 1 hour 30 minute
- Place a pan over medium-high heat.
- Get all the air out of the dough by pressing it, cut dough into 4 equal sizes.
- Roll each dough into balls then flatten out into oval shapes using a rolling pin.
- Cook the bread for 2 minutes on each side in the pan, until they puff up slightly with a golden brown color on each side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g