This Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry is a quick whip up and when served on a hot bed of rice, it makes a delicious, full and a healthy dinner.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry has been a favorite of min for the longest. You know when you’re just back from work and have no leftovers in the fridge but still too tired to make something new. it meals like this that saves the day.
I’ve ordered this Chicken Stir Fry a few times from Chinese takeout menus, but you can make it more healthy by being able to control the oil and sodium amount in your cooking.
So, this is a healthy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry that is also quick to make, less than 10 minutes if all your other ingredients are prepped and ready. It’s a good idea to cook your simultaneously as you make the stir fry. Both will be ready almost at the the same time.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken Breast – cut into strips of chunks
- Onion – yellow
- Chicken Broth – for flavor
- Light Soy Sauce – flavor and taste
- Corn Starch – to thicken sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
(Check recipe for full list of ingredients and cooking instructions).
Can I Use Frozen Frozen Broccoli?
Absolutely yes. But make sure to thaw it out in the fridge hours before making this recipe. Frozen broccoli may be a tad less crunchy as a fresh one.
Do you have to cook broccoli before stir fry?
It is okay to steam your broccoli for a minute before stir frying. If the florets are big, I steam them using a steamer or quickly in the microwave to make them a bit tender. Complete cooking them in the sauce so they can absorb some flavors.
- 400g Chicken Breast Strips
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small Yellow Onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and whisk to dissolve sugar and corn starch. Set sauce aside.
- Put the chicken strips in a bowl and season lightly with pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Add chicken in a single layer and let it fry for 2.5 minutes each on both sides or until golden brown. remove to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add another 1 tbsp of cooking oil along with broccoli florets, chopped garlic and sliced onions. Stir fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and broccoli is crisp-tender then reduce heat to medium/low.
- Give the sauce a quick stir in case there was any settling of starch and pour all of it over the vegetables. Simmer 3-4 minutes or until sauce is thickened. To thin the sauce, add water a tablespoon at a time.
- Return chicken to the pan and stir until heated through.
- Serve over any hot rice of your choice.
1. Chicken breast can be subsisted for chicken strips. Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces for fast cooking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 22gProtein: 70g
Nutrition information is not always accurate.