This Lemongrass Chicken Stir Fry is a delicious, healthy, and fresh chicken and vegetable recipe that ready in about 30 minutes! Serve this dish with a side of noodles, jasmine, or basmati rice.
I decided to replicate one of my favorite take-out meals today which turned out amazing! Maybe this sounds familiar to you; however, have you ever spent a whole day shopping at a mall, then went to the food court because you were hungry? When you get there, you notice that there’s a long line of people waiting to place an order. You contemplate the idea of grabbing a quick meal to eat on the way home but you want that chicken stir fry so you wait. Anyone?.
Well, in this recipe article, I will be showing you how to easily replicate one of the most popular items you can find on a takeout’s menu which is lemongrass chicken stir fry. This recipe involves frying the chicken first to achieve that golden crispy brown look before stir-frying the vegetables and adding the sauces. Let’s get into making this.
Ingredients List And Substitutions
- Boneless and Skinless Chicken Thighs – they are the juiciest part of a chicken. It doesn’t t=dry out, it remains moist throughout the cooking process and takes flavor well unlike the breasts. However, feel free to use chicken breasts for this recipe because where it lacks tenderness, it makes up for a healthier meal.
- Red Bell Pepper and Green Bell Peppers – these peppers are a classic in most stir-fry dishes. Adding vegetables to your meal is essential when balancing out flavors. Too much meat may look boring and bland so having some fresh vegetables in your meal will not only make it look colorful but will also make it more nutritious.
- Onions – I love when onions are fried to perfection. White onions have a mild flavor and get crunchy and delicious when fried just right. Fennel is a good addition to this recipe or you can just substitute onions for fennels if you wish.
- Soy Sauce – go with low sodium soy sauce. Because the chicken will be fried with some salt and pepper for flavor, it’s better you are able to control the saltiness of your food by using low sodium soy sauce. You can always add more salt if needed but can’t remove once used.
- Fish Sauce – this is the second sauce needed for this stir-fry recipe. While it’s not the most delicious on its own, when paired with the other two sauces, there is a taste explosion!
- Oyster Sauce – this is a sweeter tasting sauce because it’s a mixture of caramelized oyster juices and some other taste-enhancing additives.
- Garlic Cloves – for that extra flavor punch! I’d put garlic on everything if I could.
- Lemongrass – This is an essential part of our lemongrass chicken recipe! Use as little as possible, but make certain it is thinly sliced so it is easy to eat.
- Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil – needed for frying the chicken and vegetables. There are two options for you however, canola oil does a better job when you want something fried crispy.
- Salt and Pepper – acting as a flavor enhancer.
How To Make This Recipe
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season the chicken with salt and pepper, mix.
- Add some canola oil into a skillet. Place the chicken in the skillet over medium-high heat, frying the chicken for 4 minutes on each side till cooked and brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add the garlic, onions, lemongrass, and peppers in the same oil and stir fry for a minute.
- All the sauces should be combined in a small bowl then added to the stir fry. Add the chicken and mix until well combined.
- Remove from heat and serve with a side of rice or noodles.
Extra Recipe Notes
Make sure to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go because this recipe is will be ready in minutes! This way, you can focus only on the cooking process. Your vegetables will not lose their freshness and crunchiness if you have undivided attention.
What To Serve This Recipe With
This lemongrass chicken stir-fry can be served with noodles or rice. I have opted for white basmati rice with black sesame seeds sprinkled on top for extra flavor and crunch. You can serve it with rice noodles also known as vermicelli or toss it with the stir fry once it’s done.
How To Store And Reheat
Allow it to cool completely before making any attempts to store it. How long food will keep determines its condition before being stored. Use an airtight glass container and set it in the fridge. Consume within 2 – 4 days to enjoy it when it’s most fresh. To reheat, let it sit out in order to get to room temperature first. You can set it in a glass bowl and microwave for a minute or two or reheat it over the stove. Keep an eye on it though, to not lose all the freshness of the vegetables.
Other Chicken Stir Fry Recipe To Try
- 4 Boneless and Skinless Chicken Thigs, cubed
- 2 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Oyster Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 1 6-inch Plump Stalk of Lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken and mix.
- Add canola oil into a skillet over medium-high heat, put the chicken in the skillet making sure each one has direct contact with the heat, fry the chicken for 4 minutes on each side till cooked and brown. Remove the chicken from the oil and set it aside.
- In the same oil, add the garlic, onions, and lemongrass and stirfry for about a minute. Then add the peppers and stir fry for one minute as well.
- Combine the sauces in a small bowl then add everything into the stir fry. Add the chicken and mix everything till well combined.
- Remove from heat and serve with a side of rice or noodles.
Make sure to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go because this recipe is will be ready in minutes! This way, you can focus only on the cooking process. Your vegetables will not lose their
freshness and crunchiness if you have undivided attention.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1267mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Please note that nutritional information is not always accurate.