A creamy delight for tahini lovers, the Tahini Pasta with Garlic and Broccoli is packed with flavors! And you can make it in a matter of minutes. Adding onion flakes to the dish will add extra flavor and crunch to it!
Tahini pasta is an excellent dish for vegans and vegetarians wanting a creamy pasta dish without dairy. It is quick to prepare and you are able to eat it right away. There is very little slicing and chopping involved and I think it’s great when a recipe requires very little preparation and can be delicious!
What Is Tahini Sauce Made Of?
Essentially, tahini or tahini is ground sesame oil made by toasting and grinding hulled sesame seeds. It is used as a standalone food as well as in hummus, baba ghanoush, and halva. Now I’m just getting creative by adding it to pasta! It can be pale in color and creamy consistency. That color is influenced by whether the sesame seeds have been toasted or not.
- Cappelletti Pasta – dried cappelletti pasta is a hat-shaped pasta with ‘brim’ which is my it works great in this recipe. There are lots of corners and crevices for the tahini sauce to go in. However, there are other kinds of pasta that will work. Penne, orecchiette, and elbow macaroni are just as good.
- Tahini – the tahini forms the creamy sauce base for this pasta dish.
- Broccoli Florets – provides added nutrition to this dish.
- Garlic – adding garlic to this dish gives it a depth of flavor it will be lacking if skipped. So make sure you add!
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – adding lemon in tahini pasta sauce is important in lifting the taste. Tahini by itself doesn’t have a big flavor profile, so adding these is important.
- Olive Oil – this is necessary for sauteing garlic and broccoli.
- Salt and Black Pepper – to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes – adds some heat to the dish so add with caution!
- Parsley – optional garnish
- Onion Flakes – optional garnish
How To Cook This Tahini Pasta
- Cook pasta by placing it in a medium-sized pot and boil it according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine the tahini, lemon juice, and lemon zest with 3 tablespoons of water. Place ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- In a skillet over low heat, saute the garlic and broccoli florets together until just tender. As you fry, stir frequently, for approximately three minutes or until broccoli becomes tender. So that the garlic does not burn, keep it on low heat.
- Add black pepper and red pepper flakes then add in the tahini pasta sauce.
- Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to the pasta along with the cooked pasta. Then mix everything together. Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Parsley and onion flakes (optional) may be sprinkled on top.
How To Store and Reheat Tahini Pasta
Store this Garlic Broccoli Tahini Pasta dish in a container after it has completely cooled down and placed in the fridge. This dish will keep for 2 days and to reheat, do so in a pot over the stove on low heat. Splash some water into it and let it slowly simmer.
Other Simple Pasta Dishes To Try
- 2 cups Cappeliti Pasta or Elbow Pasta
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Onion Flakes for garnish (optional)
- Boil the pasta in a medium-sized pot according to cooking instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together and set aside.
- Set a skillet on low heat and start sauteing the garlic and toss the broccoli florets in right after. Stir as you fry for about 3 minutes or until broccoli gets tender. Keep on low heat so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add black pepper and red pepper flakes then add in the tahini mixture.
- Follow by adding cooked pasta along with 1/4 cup of pasta water. Mix everything together.
- Check for salt and add to taste if necessary.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley and onion flakes on top (optional).
The following types of pasta are good substitutes for cappelletti;
- Elbow Macaroni
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3570mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Kitchen On The Avenue makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.